fesrivals

Navratri – The festival of the destruction of evil

Navratri which literally means ‘nine nights’ is a Hindu festival celebrated in the months of September or October. The festival is observed differently across the Indian subcontinent as per the various cultures that the country has. The underlying message is same throughout all the cultures – ‘Victory of good over the evil.’ On a spiritual level, it also means killing the demons within ourselves and leading a peaceful life.

In the Eastern and North eastern states, Durga Puja is celebrated during Navratri in the honor of goddess Durga, who battled the Buffalo demon and restored Dharma. In the northern and western states, the festival is synonymous with “Rama Lila” and Dussehra that celebrates the battle and victory of Lord Rama over the demon king Ravana. In southern states, the victory of different goddesses, of Rama or Saraswati is celebrated.

Being a Tamilian by birth, I have always enjoyed Navratri. In our culture, the festival is adorned with ‘Kolu’ or ‘Bommai Kolu’. It is the display of dolls and figurines in a step like formation called ‘Padi’. Bommai literally means dolls. These dolls are made of clay by rural artisans and are painted with the brightest colours. Every ‘Padi’ or step narrates a story. The themes generally consist of Gods and goddesses. Wedding themes, wherein a full wedding dolls is also very common.

Families visit each other’s houses during these nine days and savour the delicious food items prepared for the festival. I love the excitement that this festival brings about and now, I’m passing on the same to Riaan. I took him to various relatives’ houses this year and he was thrilled to see such a beautiful sight. I am sure that a part of him wanted to create a havoc but, he held back 😉.

In my family, the Kolu has been carried forward through generations and it’s a lovely heritage that has been passed. On the final day, that is on Dussera, one of the dolls is symbolically put to sleep and the ‘Kalasa’ is moved toward the north to mark the end of the festival. Prayers are offered and the Kolu is dismantled and stored safely for the next year. A lot of people keep adding new dolls to their collection every year.

All in all, a lovely festival which brings a lot of positive vibes.

Do you have any pictures of your homes Kolu? Do share them with us.

18 Comments

1. Can you add some more detail? You’ve penned a highly informative post otherwise, so namaste!

1. reva1987 says:

Hey thanks alot 🙂

2. Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different
    internet browsers and both show the same results. https://jessica-kartika-1.jimdosite.com

1. reva1987 says:

Ill surely have a look at it:)

3. І’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do І encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and let
    me tell you, you’ve hіt tthe naіl on the head.
    The problem is an issue that too few peoplе are speaking
    intelligently about. I aam very hapρy that І found this during my search for something reⅼating to this. http://quentinbarrott82.jigsy.com/entries/general/proses-sablon-kaos-satuan-di-bandung-pencabutan

1. reva1987 says:

thanks alot for your appreciation 🙂

4. I have beеn browsing on-ⅼine moгe than 3 hours nowadays, but I by
    no meanbs discօvered any fascinating article like youгs.
    It’s lovely value enoough for me. Pеrsonally, if all
    sitge owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the webb might be much mօre helpful than ever before. http://blackplanet.com/shelliebohac71/message/15913267

1. reva1987 says:

That’s a huge compliment.. thank you so much 😊

5. Nіce blog! Is yoour theme custߋm made or did
    you dоwnload it from sοmewherе? A theme like yours
    with a few simple tweeks would reallʏ make my blog shine.
    Pⅼease let me know whеre you got your theme.

Thank you http://blackplanet.com/wendellbrooks1981/message/15924279

1. reva1987 says:

This theme is a part of the wordpress theme options… it’s blossom feminine.. just run through the wordpress themes and you wil get it

6. Everyone loves it whenever people get together and
    share views. Great blog, stick with it!

1. reva1987 says:

Ya ur absolutely true… a celebration is incomplete without people 😊😊 thanks alot for the appreciation

7. It’s a ѕhame yoս don’t have a donate button! I’d certaіnpy donate to this exceellent Ƅlog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding уour RSS feed t᧐
    my Google account. I look forward to freah updates and will share thiѕ site with my Facebook group.
    Chɑt soon! https://palletrackingwarehouses.wordpress.com/

1. reva1987 says:

8. Useful information. Veery interesting topic, outstanding post.I bookmarked it.

1. reva1987 says:

Thanks alot 🙂 do read and share my posts if u like them

9. Hello it’s actually a cool and helpful piece
    off info. I’m happy that you shared this usefuyl information with us.

1. reva1987 says:

Thanks alot for your appreciation.