It is a beautiful Saturday morning and I am on my couch with my favorite cup of coffee. The birds are chirping, the trees are swaying to the lovely breeze and everything seems to be just about perfect. Winter has given us a pleasant surprise by sticking around overtime this year. Plus, Women’s Day is around the corner and I am reminiscing in my own thoughts on how to make this day special for myself. There are list of things that I want to do which I am contemplating about and make me feel like a queen. Your question to me would be – “Why do you want to pamper yourself? You anyway get a lot of time doing that as you are a home maker. You get lot of free time. You have the luxury of napping in the afternoon and waking up whenever you feel like. You have many more high points that other working women do not have.”
Now, coming to an answer or a few answers to that question. I too was a person who worked for a corporate biggie. I enjoyed rather, loved my job but, when I conceived I realized that I have a bigger responsibility coming up and decided to take a break from work. It’s been four years now and let me tell you that it was the best decision I took. Surprised! Wait till you hear my reasons.
- I love what I do. I find joy in waking up my baby every morning and readying him for school. I enjoy the same routine of cooking for him, feeding him, taking him down to play and all the other nitty gritties of motherhood on a repeat mode. I feel I am instilling my well learnt values in my kid while doing all this.
- Yes, I do get the luxury of doing things at my own time which I never had when I was working. But, let us face the facts. I am still on a timeline to complete all my tasks of the day on time because I am the woman of the house. I need to get my act together with a well cooked meal and a clean house. And I ensure it is done most of the days so that I could spend some time with my baby, husband and talking to my friends (who can live without friends right?).
- I enjoy being the financial planner of the family. I feel like I am running this huge multi million business where payments have to go on time and budgeting needs to take place for the smooth functioning for the rest of the month.
- I got to cultivate my passion. My undying love for writing finally made its way into a career after almost 29 years of my existence. This, is in fact my favorite part of deciding to become a stay at home mommy. I am rediscovering myself with so many new avenues where I can show my true talent. And all this, I could do with being around my son all the time.
- I get to meet my girlfriends often. I need that dose of laughter, happiness and girl gossip from time to time to survive. Most of my girlfriends are stay at home moms too so, it has made connecting with each other all the more easy.
- My family turns to me for their emotional support. They know that I am always there for them. My husband leans on to me for a crying shoulder and the feeling of being loved and adored by him totally makes my day.
There are innumerable reasons as to why I am proud I made this shift in my life but, I choose to leave you all with my topmost experiences. I wouldn’t lie; there are times when I too feel the need of a break because this, by far, is the toughest job I have ever been in as there are rarely any holidays. But, we are women. Let me rephrase. We are super women and we always run the show. Nothing brings us down. So, whenever you feel low, keep everything aside and do something which makes you feel great about yourself. That is exactly what I am going to do this Women’s Day. I am going to celebrate myself. Care to join me to celebrate yourself?
This post is a part of the #MomsSpeakUp Blog Train hosted by Prisha and Nayantara. I would like to thank Anoushka for introducing me. Read their take on the prompt here (hyperlink). I would like to introduce Kadambari. I am sure you will enjoy reading her take on the prompt. Visit her blog here.